Sunday, March 12, 2006

notes on home improvement

1. If you have a giant water stain on your ceiling, just go ahead and come to terms with the stinky mess that you will have to deal with after using the oil-based Kilz. The Kilz-2, water based stuff, is useless when it comes to a big nasty water stain. Two coats into the process, I was still seeing the stain. I called Jeni-jen-jen, home improvement queen, which is what I should've done in the first place. She said I could put multiple many more coats of Kilz-2, or just suck it up and buy disposable brushes and latex gloves. She was so right. My house stinks, but my ceiling is white again, after just one coat of the smelly stuff. Why do I have to learn everything the hard way? What could've taken an hour took FOUR. Alas.

2. Cats do not care for home improvement activities. Like most men, cats fear change. When things are moved around, strange smells arrive, ladders are put up, they hate it. Add in the inevitable broom and/or vacuum cleaner and you have a cat's idea of a really lousy afternoon. Maybe I will give them tuna later.

No comments: