Wednesday, October 21, 2009

moment of clarity

So I've been trying to sort out what the fuck it is with Ann Coulter: why do the right-wingers love her so much? I mean, sure, she's a racist, homophobic, right-wing hate-monger, and they like THAT, obviously. But, she is also tall, leggy, blonde, miniskirted tanned, thin, polished, painted, buffed, and waxed. Normally this sexbot look adds up, for dudes, to someone they want to just shut up and look good. But they seem to like it when she says stuff. A lot. But then Mearl, a commenter over at IBTP said, “There is almost no way to be Dude-Approved hawt and be taken seriously." And she is absolutely right.

I had a light-bulb moment. I haven’t been able to parse it before, but I think I’ve got it now: they really *don’t* take her seriously. She is popular to the right-wing dudes the way a monkey singing opera might be popular: it’s not what she’s saying, but the fact that she is *saying it at all*. It’s like, “Look! Barbie TALKS!!” They surely, to a man, don’t think she actually writes her own books or thinks her own thoughts.

I feel so much better now.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both you and Coulter are remarkably similar in one respect: you are both blind ideologues. Rather than temper your opinions with reason and civility, granting small concessions to the other side in order to buttress your argument when they do make valid points, you're both prone to vitriolic ranting and pandering to your bases. You will both push bad positions simply for the sake of it being antipodal to the other side. This is foolish. The world doesn't need leftist counter-balances to Ann Coulter. It needs more center mass--both left and right. Of course, that isn't who you are. That isn't who she is, either.

Jezebella said...

Hey, anonymous: fuck you!

Anonymous said...

It's funny how fence-sitters always think they're so wise and noble just because they're fence-sitters. Splitting the baby 50/50 isn't always the best call, anon.

Jezebella said...

Perzackly. I believe what I believe. I could not give a shit whether some dude on the internet thinks the world "needs" more center-mass.

I think it's hilarious that anon thinks he knows me or my motives or my reasons at all. And I have no doubt that anon is a "he".

Anonymous said...

Are you sure about that?

Fence-sitting, eh? People take solid, principled positions every day without pandering to the fundimentalists on both side of the ideological line. You need not split the baby to find reasonable solutions or add to the discourse, nor is very decision an all-or-nothing proposition.

Also, I've searched the darkest recesses of the Internet for a program to help indigent PhDs. I haven't had any luck finding one just yet, but I remain hopeful.

Anonymous said...

From one anonymous to another, well said. You're wasting your time on it, though. Let it rage. It's the equivalent of a baby throwing a tantrum; none of the adults take it seriously. It's not stupid, it's just not nice. And niceness actually means quite a bit in the grand scheme of things. It will respond with venom; that's the only thing in its arsenal, I'm afraid. Or this is its way of venting, which might be a good thing.

Jezebella said...

Oh, for fucks' sake, is there some sort of assholes' club that accidentally found its way to my blog?? You guys are completely predictable. Booooo-ring.

Anonymous said...

Ann Coulter is freakish looking. Dudes are super aggressive in cyberspace hiding behind screennames.

Another anonymous.