Thursday, March 15, 2007

Mississippi Moment: how to spell

It is my contention that Jackson is really just a pretentious cowtown. I drove there last week to drop someone off at the airport, and drove through Brandon, Mississippi. Brandon is obviously becoming a whiteyville-outlying-bedroom community for Jackson commuters. The high school looks like an outlet mall. Across from the high school is a gated community of identical mini McMansions. Outside of these hideous developments, the landscape is pretty boring, especially in winter.

This subdivision is called, I shit you not: Provonce. Clearly it is meant to be pronounced as in "Provence," the region in France, giving it snooty European appeal. And yet, this being Jackson, Mississippi, SPELLED FUCKING WRONG. AAAAAGGGHHHH. Pro-VONCE. Because one of two things happened:

1. the bourgie redneck developers never bothered to check the spelling.

2. They decided people were too stupid to pronounce "Provence" correctly and it would interfere with their marketing/branding/making piles of money selling prefab generic mini-Tuscans to the whitey-flighty masses.

Either way, I wish I'd had my camera with me so I could share this abomination.

No comments: